Sunday, May 24, 2009

Monday's child brings

Ikea. 80-some odd kitchen parts in varying amounts arrive at the new apartment tomorrow afternoon at the most inopportune time possible. There will be some logistic issues between me getting there, Stefan getting there after school, and me getting to where I'm supposed to be Monday afternoon. I'll be interested to see how that goes.

We're done painting. After 3 days it felt like it would never end, but it's over for now. I say for now because that painted slant in the bedroom is annoying and the fact that the 'yellow' room seriously makes you need sunglasses is another problem. However when 1 gallon of latex paint (~5 liters) runs you nearly 50 euro (that's almost $70 US), you can bet we're going to try to live with it for awhile.

Most German paint isn't latex, it's some other flat stuff. It's not that much cheaper and the quality is pretty poor - at least where I've seen it. It's super-matte, when I like a bit of gloss on walls, not a lot, but a little. It can rub it's color off, even white, on your things, and it ages pretty fast (darkening around the edges). We don't want to have to repaint every 3-4 years. The flip side is that the latex paint they DO sell is high gloss. So I have high gloss walls, which is weird to me. High gloss is something I normally would only see or put on on trim. You can't have it all.

No comments :

Related Posts with Thumbnails